Monday, May 5, 2014

Diet Shmiet.

I have a sandwich bag filled with celery, carrots, and cherry tomatoes with a small cup of Ranch dressing. I pull it out and open the bag and look up to see people staring at me. I can read it in their eyes: 'That's what you're going to eat?!'

I carefully choose a celery stick and take a hard, crunchy bite out of it.

Yes - this is what I'm choosing to eat.

The above is a sample scenario of what I've encountered when I'm watching what carbs I choose to put in my body.

Maybe it's because I don't weigh 300+ lbs or maybe it's the amounts of processed foods a lot of Americans tend to eat (myself included), but I can't seem to wrap my head around why anyone would gawk in awe at vegetables. Is it that uncommon? I have a lot of friends that have gardens, so why on earth would this be an issue at all?

Diet
1. The kinds of food that a person, animal or community habitually eats.

I hate that word. "Diet" ... Ew.

The thing is, we are all on our own forms of a diet - if someone chooses to eat at Burger King every other day, that is their chosen diet. Sometimes I'm on a pasta and pizza kick, which would be my chosen diet.

If I could add up the amounts of processed and sugary foods I've eaten in my life, you'd probably wonder how I'm still alive. I can eat a lot of grown men under the table! (Not that I'm proud of-- No, no. I AM proud of that!)

But I find it shocking that out of everything I've ever eaten, the one food group I'm stared at over are vegetables.

I'm not here to preach about what people should or shouldn't eat - I know vegans that shake their heads at my soda intake, I know a cool set of twins that are vegetarians/vegan that can't live without Redbull, and I know people that have to try every new fast food joint. This is all okay.

I just know what works for me to be healthy and feel better when I wake up in the mornings and that's  watching the amounts of breads and pastas and sugars and eating veggies, fruits, nuts, meats, etc.

So, what works for you? If it makes you happy and feel good, do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment