Thursday, February 27, 2014

Your skin is darker than mine.

I have always felt strongly about the idea that we all derive from Africa, to some extent (my theory lies with Egypt, but that's a different blog).

This is why I think it's a good thing - great, even - to see African American men and women as very Pro-Black; proud of who they are and where they came from. I think we all should.

I am all for Civil Rights and fighting for everyone's rights as a people, but at the end of the day... I am white. I don't fully understand (and never will!) what it's like to be a Black woman in America. The racial slurs, the idea that one isn't "Black enough" because of skin being too light because of genetics or being bi-racial, the sting of being considered "TOO dark", having white women constantly want to touch your hair, just having to be THAT much stronger of a woman because of the color of your skin.

That is something I do understand: Being a woman. This blog is to celebrate ALL women, but especially the strong women of color.

 I've always felt like I didn't understand the saying, "I'm colorblind - I see no color, only humans." Before you say/think anything, let me just say that I get why one would say that. You're accepting of all. But let's face the facts: We ALL see what's in front of us, no matter how "blind" you claim to be. You see when someone has a bad tan job, just as much as you see the dark complected woman standing in front of you.

So why not celebrate it instead?

When I studied Costume Design and Textiles, I looked through multiple fabric weaves and colors. Oh, the colors! Deep crimsons, seafoam green, turquoise, silky ballet pink, velvety emerald green.... Or when I did a show set in the 1920s-30s, I used sepia tones: creamy beige, deep chocolate, caramel, jet black....

When I see skin color, I see beauty. I see flawless skin complexions, the color of ones hair to skin tone, and most of all - speaking as a woman - what colors look fabulous on what women!

There is one particular woman this past year that has stood out to me in so many ways - she makes me proud to be a woman (and she's a Pisces ;P) and when I see a photo of her, I can't help but be a bit more proud.





Lupita Nyong'o. (If you're not familiar with this woman, please look her up - She's a Kenyan actress who has starred in 12 Years a Slave and who'll play along side Liam Neeson in Non-Stop)

This woman could wear a burlap sack and still look like a queen. She appeared on Jimmy Kimmel Live and even Jimmy said to her, "You look fantastic! I love that dress!"

I cannot wear yellow. My skin tone does NOT look good in yellows. At. All. I look washed out and gross.




Now, that's how you wear yellow! Her skin tone is rich and it makes any fabric/color she wears look equally rich.

You might remember her in this stunning red carpet dress:




Gaw-jees! (Lafayette Reynolds voice)

She knows how to carry herself well in an interview. She is all around stunning.





And we all see that her skin is dark. And it's beautiful.

Embrace yourself and your skin color, ladies. We are all beautiful and stunning in our own way! And before you decide to say that you're "colorblind", try to understand that some women choose to embrace their color fully and are very proud of who they are. They should be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment